Thursday 25 August 2016

Justice League Dark Fancasting

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

As you’ve already read, Doug Liman will be directing DC Film’s Dark Universe aka Justice League Dark.

Since we’re still a long way from the film even starting production, I thought of shits and giggles I’d put my suggestions to who could/should be cast in the roles of John Constantine, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Deadman and Etrigan the Demon.

Again, these are MY suggestions and it’s bit of fun, but let me know what you think by tweeting me @Shaun_Wren or leave a comment on my Facebook page The Shaun Wren Blog.

John Constantine

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

Previous Rumour – Colin Farrell or Ewan McGregor

My Choice(s) – Colin Farrell or Dan Stevens

When rumours came out, either early in the year or last year, about the casting for Justice League Dark everyone seemed to a fan of Farrell as Constantine and I think this is a brilliant choice.

IMAGE VIA YAHOO MOVIES/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Just as a person off camera Farrell as the personality and charisma of this character like just give him a trenchcoat and dye his hair blonde and he’s good to go. The only negative is that he hasn’t been in major blockbuster film, but if he wins praise for his role in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them then Farrell is our leading man.

However, the reason I put Stevens in the mix is because he’s becoming more and more well known in America and received a lot of praise for his performance in The Guest and he too looks the part.

His big test to see if he’s going to be a huge blockbuster actor is his role as Beast in Disney live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.

IMAGE VIA INDEPENDENT

Zatanna

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

Previous Rumour – Black or Hispanic actress

My Choice(s) – Ana de Armas or Aiysha Hart

Obviously, before she got cast in Spider-Man: Homecoming, I’d say Zendaya would be a pretty decent choice to play Zatanna as you want someone in her late teens/early twenties to play the character and she could star in spin-offs like a Birds of Prey movie or a Young Justice live TV show/film.


I had issues thinking of actresses to play the role because she’s so beloved by fans. So I went with two talented women who are in their late twenties in Armas and Hart, but both could easily pass for 24/25 year-olds.

IMAGE VIA TWITTER

Armas is the most recently known of the two as she was recently in War Dogs (out in the UK this Friday), but also the Cuban-born star will also be starring in the untitled Blade Runner sequel. While Hart is a British-born actress, but has a Middle Eastern heritage and is only known in the UK for TV roles in BBC’s Line of Duty,  New Blood and Atlantis.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS

Swamp Thing

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

Previous Rumour – Ron Perlman

My Choice(s) – Ron Perlman or Joel Edgerton

I think when casting comes up for this film and Swamp Thing especially I think DC fans and film reporters won’t be surprised if they hear Perlman’s name attached to this character. Mainly because of his performance as Hellboy wearing all that prosthetic.

IMAGE VIA AP

If the director thinks this suits the character and importantly himself and his actor, this could be WB/DC’s thing to get actors to wear prosthetics instead of being a CGI monster after Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje wore prosthetics to play Killer Croc in Suicide Squad and it worked (for me anyway).

The reason I put Edgerton’s name in there is because he’s a brilliant actor and could be a surprise casting for some and I think he’d add a lot to the character.

IMAGE VIA GETTY IMAGES

Deadman

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

Previous Rumour – Comedic Actor

My Choice – James Franco or Matt Bomer

When the casting rumours first came out it said Warner Bros were looking for a comedic actor to play this character and even though he previously played Harry Osborn in Sam Raimi’s Spiderman, I think Franco would be a great choice.



Deadman is a funny, dark and intimidating and personally, I think Franco’s acting CV proves he could do all those things.

Meanwhile, Bomer is someone I also thought of who could a decent job in the role as he too could to all those things and granted I’ve only seen him in Magic Mike and The Nice Guys, but those roles were so different I could see him carry the role as well.

IMAGE VIA MENS FITNESS

Etrigan the Demon

IMAGE VIA DC COMICS

Previous Rumour – Colin Farrell or Ewan McGregor

My Choice – Ewan McGregor, Ben Foster or Jude Law

Again when the rumours hit the web it was said both Farrell and McGregor were up for both Constantine and Etrigan with fans going for the former for Farrell and the latter for McGregor and I have to agree.

I like the idea of having a seasoned British or American actor to take on this role and the human form of the character Jason Blood, which is why I went for the three actors above.

McGregor’s CV speaks for itself and I think he could add a little bit of light-heartedness to the role as if you seen him perform he doesn’t that things too seriously.

IMAGE VIA PA

Even though I haven’t seen Forster’s performance in the Lance Armstrong biopic The Program, I’ve good things about his performance and the film is on Amazon Prime UK so I’ll get round to it and I’m seeing a new film Foster’s in called Hell or High Water in a couple of weeks and it’s getting fantastic reviews.



On the other hand, Law is another one of these actors with an impressive CV and I don’t think I’ve seen a performance from him I haven’t liked and again he could add some lightheartedness to the film while in the role.

IMAGE VIA GETTY IMAGES

One more thing would you add Cara Delevingne’s Enchantress because she too so once apart of the Justice League Dark and could be the connection to help fans know this film is in the same universe as Suicide Squad. I’m talking about the Gollum(ish) version of Enchantress, not the hips don’t lie version.

IMAGE VIA WARNER BROS/CLAY ENOS

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Is there someone you think could do better in the role? Let me know on Twitter @Shaun_Wren and on my Facebook page The Shaun Wren Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment